March 22, 2013

2013 ~ LOOK WHAT'S GROWING SERIES - CLEANING FLATS, SHELVING FOR SEEDS, TOOLS SHARPENED, BLUEBIRD HOUSES, STOCKED GREENHOUSE & GARDEN BEDS...WHEEEEW!

Today I'm going to combine a bunch of posts in one so that I can catch up on what's happening now.  
I have been taking lots of pictures,
 but I have been so busy getting ready for the growing season that I haven't had time to post them.   
So here goes....

- Cleaning of Gardening Pots & Flats. 
I washed all my garden flats and pots in my kids bath tub...eeeewwww!  It was a MESS!!  I was too lazy to do it last year--Note to self, after plants have been moved into the garden, clean them OUTSIDE..always!!


- Setting up indoor shelving with light for seedlings. 




- Shelves filled with my new growing seedlings!


- Sharpened all of my gardening tools, shears & everything that needed to be sharp!


- I built two Bluebird houses to see if I could get some birds in my garden to eat the bad bugs.  Houses are up....no birds yet!


-I stocked my greenhouse with a few more flats, vermiculite, peat moss, compost, & yes, I course, my PINK HELLO KITTY radio I acquired from my daughter (she doesn't use it anymore).



- started preparing my square foot garden beds for this years crop.

So far this is what I have been up to for the past couple of weeks!  Busy, busy, busy.
Lots happening,  
I hope to be more organized for this years growing season.
Until later!
Bug Hugs :-)


12 comments:

  1. Wow, I can see how busy you've been... lol!!!

    Love the bird houses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Audrey! Been crazy around here....Can't wait to see if I get any birdies to visit!

      Delete
  2. I love your site ... I just stopped over from TootsieTime.com and I can't wait to stop by again to see what you end up growing in those flats you are cleaning! Bren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bren....Thanks for coming by for a visit. You can get my posts in your email as I post them if you subscribe to my post in the upper right side of my blog. Have a fab day!

      Delete
  3. YAY!!! you have spring going on!!!
    Thanks for linking in this week...I hope to see you again soon!
    I am sharing this post on Tootsie Time facebook page!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Glenda. Love your blog. I hope to have a greenhouse as big and beautiful as yours soon!

      Delete
  4. I always forget to wash pots too, and then end up with a huge and pretty mucky job to do once or twice a year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it all! I am intrigued with your seedling light shelving! I need to do this. Can you explain it to me? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn, I purchased everything from Home Depot. They are HDX Heavy Duty 6 Shelf Storage Unit. They are super easy to put together. The lights are just regular shop lights. I got some S-hooks (2 each light), and some metal chain links that they cut for me @ around 1 foot each. You would need 2 for each light. The light bulbs are Philips Daylight Deluxe and Philips Cool White, 40 Watt, 48 Inches. You get two bulbs per pack so you will need to use 1 Daylight Deluxe & 1 Cool White per shop light. Then I purchased the warming mats from my local garden store (Home Depot doesn't carry them) or you can order them from Gardenshoponline.com. They are 20 x 20 Seedling Heat Mats for $35.00 each. These seedling mats hold two flats (seedling trays) together. You can get the smaller one if you have smaller flats. Then a large garbage bag for underneath the shelves to protect my carpet. Two, 6 plug extension cords. One for the lights and one for the seedling heating mats, and a timer. Whew... I think that's it! Are you going to build one? It's great to have. I plan on planting and growing salad greens all WINTER!! Can't wait!

      Delete
  6. I am also intrigued with your seedling light shelving. did you design it or purchase it? and where? Thanks, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, Here is a copy of how I put mine together that I sent to Robyn. Hope this helps. I think I'll do a post about it!
      I purchased everything from Home Depot. They are HDX Heavy Duty 6 Shelf Storage Unit. They are super easy to put together. The lights are just regular shop lights. I got some S-hooks (2 each light), and some metal chain links that they cut for me @ around 1 foot each. You would need 2 for each light. The light bulbs are Philips Daylight Deluxe and Philips Cool White, 40 Watt, 48 Inches. You get two bulbs per pack so you will need to use 1 Daylight Deluxe & 1 Cool White per shop light. Then I purchased the warming mats from my local garden store (Home Depot doesn't carry them) or you can order them from Gardenshoponline.com. They are 20 x 20 Seedling Heat Mats for $35.00 each. These seedling mats hold two flats (seedling trays) together. You can get the smaller one if you have smaller flats. Then a large garbage bag for underneath the shelves to protect my carpet. Two, 6 plug extension cords. One for the lights and one for the seedling heating mats, and a timer. Whew... I think that's it! Are you going to build one? It's great to have. I plan on planting and growing salad greens all WINTER!! Can't wait!

      Delete

What do you think? I love reading your comments!